Sunday, May 15, 2016

Roasted Chicken Gift of Manny Pinol IMPRESSES Pastor Apollo Quiboloy!

Yesterday, years after we last met when I was still Governor of North Cotabato, I visited an old friend and spiritual leader Pastor Apollo Quiboloy in his headquarters in Davao City.
It was a meeting which I requested and was arranged by the staff of Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte to discuss the airing of agricultural programs in Pastor Quiboloy's television network, the SMNI, which has worldwide reach.
For so long, I have complained about the lack of attention the Philippine media, most especially television, give to the agriculture sector in spite of the fact that this country is agriculture-based.
For hours and hours everyday, Philippine television networks air reality shows, games and other inane programs but hardly is there a serious agriculture program which would guide the Filipino farmer on what to do and where to go.
In North Cotabato, for example, rubber farmers are crying and grieving over the very low prices of rubber cuplumps and they are asking whether the price in the province is the real market buying price of their produce. But nobody listens, nobody cares.
Yesterday, in a meeting which was supposed to involve veteran TV personality Jay Sonza and has since retired to do farming in his area in Bansalan, Davao del Sur, I found an answer to my yearnings.
(Jay Sonza suffered an allergy early in the morning and had to beg off from the meeting.)
Pastor Quiboloy eagerly welcomed the idea of SMNI playing a role in promoting agriculture, including sports and asked that the proposal be submitted in details.
What made the meeting more memorable for me was Pastor Quiboloy's reaction to my gift to him which came all the way from my farm in Kidapawan City.
Knowing of Pastor Apollo's concern for healthy food, I brought with me two roasted Manok PiNoy which the boys in the farm prepared as a gift to him.
Right in front of me, Pastor Quiboloy feasted on the litson Manok PiNoy stuffed with lemon grass and green tamarind leaves.
"I love your manok. It's so natural and it's not oily," he told me, words which came not only as a complement but a crown that I will always wear as a farmer.
"If I have special activities here, can I order chicken from you?" he asked me.
That was enough to send me to Cloud 9.
For a farmer like me, the greatest accolade is when people say the fruits in the farm are the sweetest or the free-ranged chicken the tastiest.
More so if the words of appreciation come from somebody like Pastor Apollo Quiboloy.

By Manny Pinol

No comments:

Post a Comment